How to Soak Nuts And Why It's Beneficial

After a step in the last recipe I shared, Strawberry Almond Milk, called for soaking almonds I started getting a lot of questions....how exactly do I soak the almonds? Whey do you have to soak nuts? So I figured this would be a great topic for the next How-to Tuesday!


Why You Should Soak Raw Nuts

The short answer is, soaked nuts are easier to digest.

But here is why:

Phytic acid is naturally found in all types of nuts. When digested, phytic acid binds to minerals in the gastrointestinal tract making it hard for your body's digestive system to break the nut down properly and absorb the nutrients.

Soaking nuts breaks down the phytic acid, making it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients properly in digestion.

Bonus! Soaking nuts also enhances the flavor!

If you're still not sure if it's entirely worthwhile (trust me, I'm usually the first person to take shortcuts) take a look at these before and after pictures I took when I soaked my almonds:
Before: Almonds that have just been put in clean water.

After: Almonds that have been soaking in water for 10 hours.

How to Soak Nuts:

1. Rinse desired amount of nuts thoroghly with water.
2. Place in a bowl or jar.
3. Add filtered water (2x more than the amount of nuts)
4. Cover the bowl...place a clean cloth over the opening of the bowl or jar. this type of lid allows the contents of the bowl to breathe.

5. Soak nuts. The harder a nut is, the longer it will need to soak. Here are some guidelines to follow.

How long to soak nuts:

Almonds - 8 to 12 hours
Cashews - 2 to 6 hours
Walnuts - 4 to 8 hours
Pecans - 8 hours
Pine nuts - 8 hours
Macadamia nuts - 4 hours
Hazlenuts - 8 hours
Brazil nuts - 12 hours

6. Drain and rinse.



Comments