Crock Pot Recipe - Beef Burgundy

I have been in serious Crock Pot withdrawal since the sad demise of mine a few months ago. Fall and Winter are not the seasons to be without a Crock Pot! Thankfully, my sister saved me from my misery and got me one for Christmas! (A Big Huge Thank You to the best sister in the world!!!) Just in time, too...the Crock Pot recipes I was saving were really starting to add up. First up: Beef Burgundy.

Crock Pot Recipe - Beef Burgundy

Last weekend was our first weekend home since the Holidays so I was anxious to use our new Crock Pot. And Sunday morning I woke up with Beef Burgundy on my mind! I had gotten all of the ingredients the day prior, so all I had to do was roll out of bed and start chopping and searing!

The recipe I found was actually a little more involved than I had expected. But SO worth it. And by involved, I mean just one more step extra besides cutting everything up and throwing it in together. I also didn't make things easier for myself by getting fresh pearl onions. Yes, I peeled 24 tiny pearl onions Sunday morning. I now understand why the recipe called for frozen pearl onions! Thanks to Family Circle Magazine for this and other great Crock Pot Recipes!

What You Need:

  • 2 lbs beef chuck for stew, cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch chunks
  • 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter (I used salted and it was great)
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) low-sodium beef broth
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 pkg (10oz) brown mushrooms, cleaned and cut to desired size
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 bag (14.4 oz) frozen pearl onions, thawed

Mashed Potatoes or buttered noodles (optional)

Step 1:
Coat the beef with 2 tbsp of the flour, 1 tsp of the salt and pepper. (The Family Circle recipe recommends mixing in a large resealable plastic bag, but I simply tossed in a bowl).

Step 2:
Melt butter and oil in a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown for 5 minutes, stirring to sear all sides (cook in 2 batches, if needed). Spoon into slow cooker. Reduce heat in pan to medium and add 1 cup of the broth. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring up anything on the bottom of the pan. Pour into slow cooker along with carrotts, mushrooms, garlic, red wine and remaining beef broth. Scatter onions over top of vegetables.

Step 3:
Cover and slow cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 6 1/2 hours. 

Step 4: (Confession time! I completely stopped reading at Step 3 and thought I was done! But it still turned out amazingly!)
With a slotted spoon, remove beef and vegetables to a large serving bowl. Whisk together remaining 3 tbsp flour with 3 tbsp water in a small bowl. Strain hot liquid from slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour mixture and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 3 minutes, until thickened, then stir into stew with remaining 1/4 tsp salt. 

Crock Pot Beef Stew

Then Enjoy! I ate this one night without mashed potatoes and the next whipped up some buttery mashed potatoes to serve the stew over. Delicious!

Crock Pot Recipe - Beef Burgundy



Comments